Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why NYSCATE?

The first of a two part post on the NYSCATE conference I am attending this week. I have had the opportunity the last three years I believe to attend NYSCATE here in Rochester. NYSCATE stands for the New York State Computers and Technology in Education group that is an affiliate of ISTE. Lots of acronyms for sure but NYSCATE is the conference that provides to be my north in educational technology. Conference attendees tend to be primarily teachers and technology coordinators/directors of NYS districts with some administrators, board members, students, and other groups mixed in. I am continually exposed to the ever expanding technology tools available for students and the adults that play a role in their learning. The theme I am hearing more this year more and more is that technology needs to serve the learning rather than the other way around. It was said in years past but more consistently given this year. It will not and should not be used to replace sound instruction but should be used as a way to help engage students in the learning in a medium students are very comfortable in using. Are we giving students a choice in the way they can demonstrate their learning? Lots of blockers to having students use technology in school like they use out of school but solutions are to be had; they just need to be discussed with all stakeholders involved. Two questions resonate with me so far. Are we including students in the conversations about technology use? Are our current policies (including technology) aligned with our district goals and core commitments?

My next post on NYSCATE will occur after the conference and synthesis of thought. There is a lot to take in and the challenge for me is to then put some of what I have learned into application, not only for myself but for the BT admins. and staff that I work with.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment