Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ancoria Impario - Still I learn

The title sums up my approach to the field as well as my hobbies. To be a lifelong learner. I hear this a lot these days and it holds true to my belief system. Actually, it played a large role in my transition from classroom teacher to middle school administrator. Upon signing up for my first administration classes there was no grand design to be a building principal or superintendent at the time. Rather, I simply wanted the challenge of continued learning in my field and stepping outside of my teaching comfort zone. Tiring, yes, but something I felt very good by doing and very comfortable with. Lately I have had some opportunities to continue this learning. In October, a number of Bay Trail staff both attended and presented at the New York State Middle School Association conference in Rochester. Winton Buddington and I presented a session on School 2.0 for administrators. In presenting I find there is a large amount of learning and want to thank Winton for continuing to challenge me in this way. Kudos to Bay Trail staff for stepping up and showing other New York state educators the great activities planned for Bay Trail students.

I attended Bill Daggett's session on 21st century learners and left the session shaken by the changing world around us and changes New York State will be experiencing soon. It seems like education has largely remained untouched by the sweeping changes in industry and technology and with the presentation it appears things are likely to hit closer to home very soon. Soon, I will attend the New York State Technology in Education Conference coming to Rochester. This conference started me on my educational technology journey a few years ago and helps remind me of the changing world we live in. It is my hope that anyone who reads this blog (not sure if there are many) will take the time to reflect on their learning since September, plan for opportunities of new learning, and share out here what those are. I look forward to hearing and sharing your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment